Thursday 2 September 2010

Pembs. Coast path -Newgale to Porthselau

One advantage of being retired is that I can wait for the right weather before packing the kit.  On  31st August and 1st September the forecast looked good and I could again pack the micro tarp, use my new Alpkit bivvy bag for the first time, not to mention a new titanium mug.  Boys toys!

My initial plan was to park somewhere in St. Davids and catch a bus to Porthgain and walk south back to St Davids.  Once again I was fortunate to park close to the cathedral, despite the place packed with tourists.

My walking plan changed when the first bus to come along was going south and so I decided on Newgale as the start point.


As I walked west I saw few others.  The views were clear and I realized it had been a very long time since I last walked here.

Near Pointz Castle, owned by the National Trust, I came across 4 ponies who were busily keeping the undergrowth down


On then to Solva, one of my favorite places.  We have had a number of family holidays here and last week brought our grandson for his first time.  I took the opportunity to refill one of my drink bottles here.




Once I reached Caerfai Bay I had the chance to stay at a camp site but with the good weather it seemed a wild camp would be preferable.  So I carried on with one eye looking for a suitable site. One was found not far from Chanters Seat a nice ledge just off the path and reasonably sheltered from any strong westerlies which may blow up.

I brewed up and had my evening meal and then erected my tarp etc. with views overlooking the bay and a little later of the sun setting.  As the light faded the tankers and cargo ships anchored off shore put on their lights.

I woke about 0630 watched the sunrise, had breakfast and was walking by 0730.  My camera had now decided to run out of batteries so no pictures of my bivvy etc.

I walked through Porh Clais and up onto the headland where I phoned home to report that I had not been eaten by monsters.

Picture by Philip Clarke


I rounded the headland with views of Ramsey Island and the infamous Bitches.  Years ago I had kayaked out here a few times to watch my youngest play amongst the huge standing waves and generally throw himself into the watery holes.

As I reached St Justinians I had the opportunity to catch the coastal bus, but I would have had to wait 40 minutes.

Picture by Philip Clarke


So I continued, eventually coming off the coast at Porthselau taking the path that led south easterly to the lane which led back to St Davids.

Picture byBernard Griffiths


Cracking two days.

No comments:

Post a Comment